It is delusional brain candy to count on everyone, or on any one thing. What, or who, can we count on?
1. We count on sunshine, its daily rising taken for granted. Does anyone lose sleep worrying it won’t?
2. We count on (where I live) natural gas flowing to furnaces, water at our taps. Climax. Gas at the pump. Free speech. Chicken at KFC. Intriguing women. Democracy. Lights that come on. So easily we avoid thinking about earthly locations where these do not exist. Where they do, reliability factor is often low.
3. We count on internet, cell phone services. (see #2)
We count on little else with such ardent certainty.
4. How much can we count on in our career/job, partners/spouses, children/parents, governments/community? Or counting on property values never going down? On these things we so strongly rely, even though we know we cannot expect them to always be. Not reliable like #1, #2 and #3.
5. We count on health – with little thought or fear as to its certainty. For almost everyone, notwithstanding childhood illness, broken bones, car crashes – we count on health until we reach a certain age, after 50, or 60, or 70. Stark contrast against our earlier rose-coloured-glasses expectations.
6. We can count on death. Along our way we try to count on many things, people. We continue counting on those who’ve not shown us we can count on them (notwithstanding we crave it so badly). Meanwhile, we so often ignore those many who, by their actions, prove to us every day that we can count on them.
I count on #1, #6 and myself.
column written/ published from Calgary
morning walk: 3C/37F, sunny, light breeze – squirrels and magpies in abundance. We did the short loop to Gusta’s delight and my back didn’t feel like the long loop climb was a good idea … or maybe I’m just feeling stuffed-still from turkey dinner yesterday (thanks Lyn & Guy for inviting me to join your family)
Touching. Thanks for sharing. Happy Easter, KT, Calgary, AB
Re: Power lift chair ..etc. Hi Mark: I read in your post today that you have these items available. Before you post on Kijiji, may I get more info from you? I have a friend going for hip surgery and she might be in need of some of these items. Perhaps we can chat about this. Cheers, SG, Calgary, AB
If you liked any Musing column, it would mean a lot to me if you let me know. Comments always welcome - please contribute to the discussion. Reply to: email@example.com. You can also connect with me on LinkedIn. You can sign-up friends at: MarkMusing.com . This site is updated daily, each column is retained in the archive when the next day's column is loaded ...
I publish FACILITYCalgary, weekly newsletter, free every Tuesday; to sign up, CLICK HERE