I’ll find it, prove it, display for anyone who wants to see. Sometimes it only takes five minutes.
1. real people don’t wear disguises
2. everyone who wants to be real wears a disguise
No true/false question.
My lifetime of personal and business relationship research, data gathering, experience-review and reflection upon supports clearly these are more than talking points, but absolutes with as much certainty as any law of gravity or gravitas.
Weight us down, wait us out, keep us attached to earth.
I’m not on a rant.
Disguises can be very appealing.
And they look really nice on members of our opposite gender, don’t they just?
If we buy-in to that disguise, do we then disguise ourselves?
I think we all, myself absolutely included, modify our actions to suit situations, to suit being agreeable with someone whose decision we care about/want to be a particular way – with shallow regard for our own stated values, principles and desires.
Not always. Not often. But we do. Reminders come in these forms:
- encountering a fully disguised person in action and wondering why they would expend such energy and effort without noticing how obviously not real they are
- encountering someone who is so completely disguise-bare, emotionally and motivationally naked, that their integrity is palpable
- looking in the mirror and not liking the view, no matter how much we shine and windex-away the smudges
In my search for happiness, understanding and truth – sometimes just to get through my day – which am I? Do I wear a disguise? 1, or a 2 …
How about you?
column written/ published from Calgary, AB
morning walk: 5C/41F, clear, chilly little wind – another beautiful day brewing – quiet streets, Gusta behaving well but my foot is not … painful arthritic big-toe needs something more than heat/cold but short of being snipped off! … he whines a little, icing it now, seems better.
If you liked any Musing column, it would mean a lot to me if you would respond. Comments are welcome, so please contribute to the discussion. To reply, use: firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also connect with me on LinkedIn . You can sign up your friends here at MarkMusing.com . This site is updated daily, each column is retained in the archive when the next day's column is loaded ...